Prof. (Dr) Ajay K. Sharma has assumed the charge as Director of National Institute of Technology, Delhi on 21st September, 2021. Prof. Sharma is a former Vice Chancellor, IKGPTU, Jalandhar (Punjab) and former Director, NIT Delhi, NIT Hamirpur & IIIT Una. Prof. Sharma is a Senior Professor (currently on lien) in the Department of Computer Science & Engineering at Dr. B.R. Ambedkar NIT, Jalandhar. He carries over more than three decades of experience in teaching, research and various leadership roles in Central Government/State Government.
Prof. Sharma obtained his B.E. in Electronics and Electrical Communication Engineering from Panjab University, Chandigarh in 1986, M.S. in Electronics and Control from Birla Institute of Technology (BITS), Pilani in 1994 and Ph.D. in Electronics Communication and Computer Engineering from NIT, Kurukshetra (Erstwhile Regional Engineering College) in 1999.
Prof. Sharma has excellent track record of quality teaching, innovation and research with ‘H’ index of 26 and ‘i10’ index of 65. He has supervised 36 Ph.D. and 46 M.Tech. theses in the area of Electronics and Communication Engineering and Computer Science Engineering. Prof. Sharma has published more than 352 articles in International and National Journals/Conferences and he has also authored 12 books. He has eight R&D projects. Prof. Sharma is a fellow member of ISTE, OSA, SPIE USA, CSI Mumbai, IETE New Delhi. He has various International research collaborations and visited several countries like USA, UAE, Singapore and Malaysia etc.
Prof. Sharma has held various positions of key responsibilities such as:
- Visitor’s nominee, NITs for Engineering and Technology Department during 2017-20.
- Chairperson/Member of various committees constituted by Ministry of Education, UGC, AICTE, NBA, DIT (Ministry of Communication & IT, Govt. of India) etc.
- Member, Board of Governors and Finance Committee, Delhi Technological University, Delhi.
- Member, Board of Governors and Finance Committee, NITTTR, Chandigarh.
- Member, Planning and Monitoring Board, Himachal Pradesh Technical University, Hamirpur (HP).
- Member, Governing Board, Inter University Centre for Teacher Education, BHU, Varanasi.
- Member, Governing Council, Sardar Swaran Singh National Institute of Bio Energy, Kapurthala (Punjab).
- Member, Governing Body, Pushpa Gujral Science City, Kapurthala (Punjab).
- Member of Technical Committee on Telecom under International Association of Science and Technology Development (IASTD), Canada for the term 2004-2007.
- Technical reviewer for the Journal of SPIE- The International Society for Optical Engineering, USA, Journal Optics Letters Optical Society of America, USA, Journal Optics Communication, Elsevier, USA, Journal Digital Signal Processing (DSP), Elsevier, USA.
- Member, Technical Evaluation Committee (TEC), National Disaster Management Authority.
- Member, All India AIEEE Counseling for North Zone (Punjab, Himachal, J&K and Chandigarh during 2005-2008.
- Member, Research Board of Advisers by the American Biographical Institute, USA for the year 1999.
In recognition of his excellence in the field of Engineering, Science and Technology, Prof. Sharma has been honored with several awards some of which includes:
- Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji Achievers Award for recognition and contributions in Technical Education by Government of Punjab.
- Honorary Fellowship Award by Punjab Academy of Sciences for recognition of his outstanding research contributions and achievements in the field of Engineering Sciences.
- Shane-e-Hind for recognition and contributions in Technical Education by Sarv Kalyankari Society, Chandigarh.
- Prestigious Award of Eminent Engineer by ET division of the Electronics & Telecommunication Division Board of the Institution of Engineers for recognition and contributions in the field of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering.
- Prominent Alumnus Honor by the trust of GNDEC during celebration of 550th birth anniversary of Guru Nanak Dev Ji at Guru Nanak Dev Engineering College, Ludhiana.
- Appreciation presented by Intel on the occasion of Intel India’s 20th celebration 2018 for the constant support in delivering technology ecosystem.
“The highest education is that which does not merely give us information but makes our life in harmony with all existence.” – Rabindranath Tagore